Fran has a wealth of experience across the tertiary, vocational education and corporate sectors. In her role at SSE, Fran is providing operational leadership to drive forward the effective implementation of our key initiatives and strategic projects.
We sat down with Fran to understand what makes her tick and how she's coping with the challenges of COVID-19.
So Fran, you’ve been on board for almost a month now, what’s your favourite part of working at SSE so far?
What I’m really enjoying is the adaptability and flexibility of everyone to just get on with business as usual despite the challenges we're all facing as a society and an economy at the moment.
I was attracted to working for an organisation that’s got a start-up feel with a great bunch of people who all just want to make things work better and are not afraid of tackling the implementation of the next idea/program. That’s definitely a big plus of being part of SSE.
What’s the best piece of advice you ever received? Do you have a motto that you live by?
The way I think about work and the way I conduct my life is always evolving so I can’t say that I live by any single motto. I like to collect personal and professional ‘tools’ and keep updating my skills and knowledge, so I guess the best fit for this question is that I embrace ‘lifelong learning’.
I also believe anyone can be a teacher. Whether it’s a colleague, a friend, an acquaintance or a stranger, everyone has knowledge and experience to share, even if it’s an example of ‘what not to do’.
What’s your best self-isolation boredom buster/activity?
My Sudoku and my Words with Friends apps are my go-to.
Frances Lee Director, Operations at SSE
I believe anyone can be a teacher. Everyone has knowledge and experience to share, even if it’s an example of ‘what not to do’.
Tell us something you’ve found yourself doing recently that you normally wouldn’t.
Going for long neighbourhood walks after work every day. I’m living in the ‘burbs of Newcastle for as long as we’re working from home so my partner and I take daily walks to get some exercise and fresh air. Voltaren Osteo Gel is my friend right now 😉
What’s the last thing you watched on TV?
Gogglebox. My partner recently introduced me to it and I think it’s hilarious.
Time for a quick bonus round of either/or! Which one of the following do you prefer and why?
- Cook at home or get delivery? Definitely get delivery. I don’t cook but I am very appreciative of any meal that’s cooked for me. I’m an excellent washer-upper!
- Music or podcasts? Radio for short periods or commutes but podcasts for longer road trips.
- Early mornings or late nights? I’m not an early morning person and don’t mind staying up late if I’m watching something. Luckily for me, my superpower is the ability to fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.
- Cats or dogs? Cats (I have a one-eyed cat).
- Good book or a good movie? If push comes to shove, it would have to be a movie as I’m more at risk of falling asleep if I’m reading in bed. I have already sustained facial injuries from my Kindle this way!