How did you hear about SSE? What attracted you to the Copywriter role?
I’ve been freelancing and contracting for 20 years now, but last year I dreamed of a permanent part-time communications or copywriting role in a for-purpose organisation, somewhere I could really add value and that would inspire me to come to work every day. Little did I know, my dream role (at SSE) was just a Google search away!
What’s the best piece of advice you have ever received, personally or professionally?
It’s not advice I’ve received but advice I’d give to others; firstly, follow your instincts. If it feels right within yourself, do it. If it doesn’t, listen to your gut. Secondly, nothing’s for nought. My career path has had many twists and turns and it wasn’t until I was in my mid-40s that I really decided on pursuing a career doing what I really love – writing – and I haven’t looked back since.
What do you think are the most needed skills and capabilities at the moment?
Human skills! Any skills that set you apart from AI are the skills that will help you stay relevant. AI is exciting and is completely transforming the content and copywriting landscape, but its limitations – like lack of insight, creativity – are evident. Emotional intelligence (EQ) is still the most valuable currency in creative work. And a commitment to continuing education and skills-building; don’t stand still.
I’m not out to change the world but still subscribe to the idiom that ‘the flap of a butterfly's wings in the Amazon can cause a tornado in Texas.’ My two teenagers are probably my greatest enduring contribution so far.
What do you do to unwind after a long day?
I am greeted at the door every afternoon by my dogs (two West Highland White Terriers) – nothing beats it.
Bonus round: Either/or
- Beach or Mountain Escape? Both. I spend a lot of time on the stunning NSW Central Coast which has both.
- Music or Podcasts? Podcasts
- Early Mornings or Late Nights? Early mornings
- Cats or Dogs? Cats… until I owned dogs!
- Solo or Team Sports? Solo
- Big or Small Gathering? Small
- Summer or Winter? Both. I grew up by the beach but love a mid-winter bush walk and open fire.
- Horror or Comedy Movie? Documentaries.
- Walk Slow or Walk Fast? Fast
- Rice or Noodles? Noodles
- Reading the book or Seeing the movie? Books are life.
- Writing or Typing? Typing day to day, but daily journaling keeps me sane.